One of the biggest issues that have been fought over for a long time is the war on drugs and the continuous prohibition of the circulation of drugs for the consumption of the public. Many people are still in the middle of deciding whether they should be supporting the campaign or not. Countries are starting to implement the war on drugs in their countries to make sure that the spread of dangerous drugs with psychoactive effects should be stopped.
Though the main goal of the campaign is to stop the spread of addictive drugs in the market, there are still particular downsides that are recorded for the implementation of this in every country. Provided that you know the issues in regards with the execution of the war on drugs, it is best that you will look further than what you already know about the issue. You can only do this when you start exploring the advantages and disadvantages of the campaign.
Pros of War on Drugs
Given that the campaign is already executed in different countries, you should be aware of the basic benefits that this campaign is able to provide. These benefits are as follow:
1. Crimes done by drug addicts will lessen. Since the distribution is highly prohibited, the number of crimes committed by drug addicts will decrease. This will also help in decreasing the crimes that are related to drug usage.
2. There is a possibility that a particular place will turn into a drug free area. This is one of the main goals of the campaign is the only one that is sure to give much advantage to neighborhoods especially when they want to keep a particular place free from drug addicted people.
3. Pushers and users are sure to be penalized. Since a country will have a strict implementation of the campaign, the main benefit of this is making sure that all manufacturers, pushers and users will be penalized accordingly.
Cons of War on Drugs
Though there are many benefits, there are still some downsides that are recognized with the implementation of the campaign. These downsides include the following:
1. Corruption within the government is projected to increase. This is projected by many political analysts as well as ordinary people because of the funds that government officials may not use for the sole purpose of controlling drug abuse in their area of responsibility.
2. Risks the lives of many policemen due to the increasing and worsening missions with drug manufacturers and pushers. Given that the job requires much patience and attention, there are many policemen who are risking their safety especially when facing missions against drug lords.
Summing up these pros and cons for war on drugs, you are sure to get many ideas on why there are people who support the campaign and why there are people who are not supporting or in doubt of supporting such campaigns executed by their government. If you will be asked, will you support such campaigns if you know that there is also much at risk?