Selective breeding is a complex process where humans, animals, or plants are bred to make particular traits more prominent. This process is considered to be practical and easy to understand and execute. Selective breeding has its own advantages and limitations that people need to be aware of in order to assure that they will not regret getting into the process of selective breeding.
The Pros of Selective Breeding
Here are some of the advantages that selective breeding provides:
1. It is a free process that can be undergone by plants and animals especially, in agricultural businesses. Since it is free, people just need to be well-equipped with the knowledge regarding the process in order to get the best breeding outcome.
2. With selective breeding, people can produce higher amount of crops. They will also acquire higher resistance in killing pest and diseases in the plant along with shorter span of time for harvesting period.
3. People need not to worry about their safety because in selective breeding, no safety failures are concerned since you are assured that doing the process will be definitely safe and secured.
4. People are comfortable with selective breeding since they are assured that the process will completely give them superior type of products which are of high quality.
The Cons of Selective Breeding
People need to make sure that they are also aware with the possible consequences and limitations that this process might be giving them. Here are some of the limitations or disadvantages of this selective breeding:
1. This process completely removes the differences of every organism in a certain population.
2. Selective organisms that have undergone selective breeding processes are at risk of some diseases and changes in the environment due to the breeding process they are going to undergo.
3. Selective breeding will not able to control the formation of genes that can be inherited by the offspring. By these, error in the process would be evident that may affect both the organism who are undergoing the selective breeding process.
4. Since selective breeding can create offspring that are of different traits, the permanent trait or its previous trait before undergoing the process would be completely lost.
5. It also reduces genetic diversity and organisms would be at risk of the so called inbreeding depression.
How Selective Breeding Affects an Organism?
Selective breeding is very important, especially to those people who are in the field of agricultural businesses, in order to enhance and increase the quantity of the crops that they are harvesting. Although there are some limitations with this type of breeding, it can still produce very great results.