Peers, together with their way of life and choices, lead a person into another world that may provide positive and negative impacts on their behavior and personality. Peers can greatly affect the way of perception and behavior of a certain individual, whether in a good way or bad way. The truth is that peer pressure also gives both benefits and drawbacks to the person involved.
Peers can be the friends or college whom the teens meet every day. Most of the time, they are dealing with the ones whom they have been similarities in terms of behavior and thinking. This makes the teens closer to the peers. These teens normally spend much time with peers compared to the time they spend with the parents. For this reason, it will be possible that peers will affect them a lot in various aspects. If you are the parent, you have to be familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of peer pressure that surround your teens.
Pros of Peer Pressure
- To be a part of bigger groups can expose teens to human behavior diversity. It makes them reflect on their behavior and lets them know where to stand.
- Peer pressure leads teen to come up with right choices or decisions in life. Good peers influence in shaping one’s personality in positive ways.
- In most cases, this is not about pressure all the time, but an inspiration which in return, makes good changes.
- The urge of being a one of the peer groups is about feeling accepted and included. There can be a natural tendency of behaving like the other members of the group. For instance, the members of the group are focused on performing well in their class while accomplishing regular lessons carefully. As a result, your child will be affected with such kind of behavior.
- With peer pressure, teens can potentially get matured and acquire the ability of taking informed decisions. You are going to notice that they are succeeding in making their targets and goals achieved.
Cons of Peer Pressure
- Peers can give a negative impact on your child’s behavior and overall personality. Thus, you have to observe them well before they showed some disadvantages of peer pressure.
- When the peers exerted a negative behavior, it can totally hamper the success and progress of the teens. Staying with a bad company forces the teen to be influenced by the bad habits like taking drugs, smoking and drinking.
- Most of the time, people gravitate to certain individuals who have social power or social weight which are usually promoting harmful ideas and habits.
- Teens may also be foolish or brash or develop bad attitude or unkind demeanor.
By simply learning about the pros and cons of peer pressure, you can guide your teens in the right path. As a parent, you have to know the people whom your child deals with. In this way, you can check whether they are good influence to your teen or not.