The word’s “nuclear weapons” is enough to send people into a tailspin of fear. Nuclear weapons are small devices that use nuclear reactions to cause an extremely large explosion. They have been used in the past and had devastating effects. While many people would argue that there is nothing good to come from nuclear weapons, that isn’t necessarily true. The big question is the do the benefits overcome the risks?
Pros of Nuclear Weapons
Nuclear weapons are valuable tools, if placed in the right hands.
- Just the fact of having nuclear weapons, and letting the rest of the world know, provides a great amount of security. Other countries do not want to invade or attack these countries because of their ability to retaliate with nuclear weapons.
- Negotiation is another large benefit of having nuclear weapons. They give a very strong tool to threaten or promise safety from, which aids many countries. Agreements and compromises are much easier to make when the knowledge of the destructive power possessed is given.
Cons of Nuclear Weapons
These high powered and destructive weapons have some pretty hefty risks that are associated with their use:
- Many people consider using nuclear weapons in territorial battles is completely immoral and unethical. It is the use of fear tactics that strong arms a country into giving up.
- The more common that nuclear weapons become, the more countries that will obtain this power. This can be very dangerous, especially if volatile countries get their hands on it.
- The development of nuclear weapons is wildly expensive. It takes a large portion of military allowances in order to maintain and produce these types of weapons, which are rarely used anyways.
- The largest con that comes with these types of weapons is the sheer power that they possess. Entire towns can be leveled and thousands of live can be lost in an instant. The effects are absolutely devastating.