It is very amazing to find out the nuclear energy is not only a good source of electricity. Aside from the fact that it can generate electricity, it can be used by human beings as a powerful weapon to use in defending their nation and country. However, its benefits are not limited to that extent. It is because this energy led to the creation of nuclear medicine. Yes, nuclear energy plays an important role in the field of medicine. In fact, it has an ability to treat several kinds of diseases that are very harmful for humans.
Nuclear medicine refers to the latest facilities and scans that are available in several medical institutions nowadays like computed tomography scans, magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography. These modern facilities produce x-rays that can detect and treat the possible illnesses and problems that are present in the body of a person. Many people are very happy and contented with its benefits and advantages for medical institutions. However, some individuals are still against its promotion for some reasons. In this article, the pros and cons of this technology will be enumerated for the benefit of the individuals that are not yet aware of its advantages and disadvantages.
Pros Nuclear Medicine
The following are the pros or advantages of nuclear medicine:
- Nuclear medicine can diagnose several diseases that are very harmful for the people.
- Some medical institutions are already using it as the most effective treatment for all kinds of cancerous diseases and conditions.
- The x-rays of nuclear medicine can scan the most sensitive parts of the body of a person just in case a serious disease is already developing in it.
- With the use of this type of medicine, physician can easily perform their responsibility in treating their patients.
- It brought a lot of advancements in the field of medicine particularly when it comes to the process of treating serious diseases.
Cons of Nuclear Medicine
Healthcare providers and physicians were very happy when nuclear medicine was introduced to the public. The quality of medical services in the different parts of the globe became more reliable theses past few years because of its presence. However, it has disadvantages also that people should not disregard. The following are the Cons of nuclear medicine:
- First of all, nuclear medicine requires huge amount of investment. Its facilities are very expensive. The prices of its facilities are very expensive and several medical institutions won’t be able to purchase it. Therefore, it will take several years to make its advancements visible in all of the medical institutions in this world.
- It produces mild radiation. If its users are not careful, it can develop cancer in the health of several patients.
- It is not advisable for pregnant patients, although some medical institutions have protective tools to use to stop radiation from entering the body of a patient.
- It is not the best alternative for the old methods of treatments for several kinds of diseases in the past. Besides, it brings serious threat to the health of a patient.