Many people are interested in having a deck that is built or made with composite materials. It further helps to acquire more information and idea about composite decking, along its cons and pros that ensure you of knowing exactly what to anticipate.
What exactly is composite decking? Upon entering a home improvement boutique or store, there are planks that can be seen and they often resemble as a wood with featured label as the planks are considered as composite. As they are made to imitate the feel and look of the real wood, the materials used in composite decking are made from synthetics.
The Pros of Composite Decking
Here are the primary benefits to the composite decking:
1. Composite decking on railing systems and boards practically eliminates the need for annual maintenance. This is due to the reason that they only contain little or even no single natural products.
2. The requirements needed in the maintenance of a composite deck may not be easy. However, the maintenance needed is by hosing the deck off and sweeping away debris with clean water.
3. The composite materials do not warp, crack, split and bulge even after exposure with the elements.
4. Special tools are no longer needed in the installment of composite decking.
5. Composite decking actually comes in a wide array of colors. Other companies are able to modify the boards that match well with the home’s exterior.
6. The composite boards and their color often last longer as compared to the traditional paint or wood stain.
7. A lot of companies are using recycled materials in the manufacture of composite decking. In effect, this makes the deck environmentally friendly.
8. Composite decking is strong because of combined organic and synthetic materials. Its longevity makes it more beneficial. Apart from it, composite decking requires low maintenance and withstands weather conditions even without any treatment or protection.
9. There is no need to worry about wood-eating bugs and termites that gnat away the attractive patio deck. Even splinters are not considered as a big problem.
The Cons of Composite Decking
Here are the primary issues associated in composite decking:
1. The biggest problem of the materials used in composite decking is its cost. The decks that are built with the use of newer technology may cost five times as compared to the decks that are built with pressure-wood.
2. The planks in composite decking are heavier as compared to the indistinguishably sized wood planks.
3. There is a need to make sure of special fasteners.
4. Although composite materials do not splinter or crack, it is believed that extreme heat may cause materials to be more flexible.
Is Composite Decking for You?
It may look so tempting to include composite decking. However, it pays to consider the difference between the cons and pros of composite decking to arrive at an educated and reasonable decision. There may be some important things in utilizing composite decking materials, but preservative and cost issues can be a limit. Better yet, contact and conduct a research even before deciding what material to use in building the deck.