Cataract is a known condition affecting the eyes of people aging 50 years old and above. This is characterized by cloudy and painless are in the eye lens. The cloudiness the eyes or blurry vision can lead to further unwanted problems affecting day to day activities like driving, reading, sewing, and more. In order to end these problems, cataract surgery is highly recommended.
Cataract surgery is a good option to take before the condition gets worse. Though this is considered as one of the fastest and most convenient surgery, it still poses few side effects. The pros and cons of cataract are essential things to learn for these helps in making the best possible decisions.
Pros of Cataract Surgery
The primary benefits of cataract surgery are as follows:
1. Improved Vision – This is the most remarkable advantage of cataract surgery. Cataract films are removed from the lens replacing it with a new clean lens. This results to better and clearer vision.
2. Low Risks – The risk involve in cataract surgery is low as compared to other type of surgery. This is because of the simplicity of the surgical procedure itself.
3. Shorter Hospitalization Period – The surgery requires short period of time. This simply means that patients are discharged after the surgery has been done but they will be under observation for few hours.
4. Quick Recovery Time – Unlike other types of surgery, the recovery time for cataract surgeries are generally short. You can even get back to work after two to three weeks as long as you take medications properly and follow doctor’s advice.
5. Get your Life Back on Track – Since you have clearer vision, your life gets back on track. You can continue doing your usual activities with ease. Successful cataract surgery is responsible for bringing sense of normalcy to life.
Cons of Cataract Surgery
Cataract surgery is associated with some disadvantages and these are outlined below:
1. Possible Risks – This surgery carries complications too and these might be harmful to health. The possible complications of cataract surgeries include itchiness and stickiness of the eyes which is probably a reaction to anesthesia, torn lens during surgery or some fragments left inside. These scenarios are indication that second operation is required.
2. Slight Inconvenience – After a cataract surgery, you will be advised to refrain from various activities like facing fancy and bright lights. You may also be required to wear dark shades or glasses for a short while. However, these are just slight inconveniences as compared to the vast benefits you can get after the surgery.
3. Other Complications – Cataract surgery can cause other complications such as decreasing vision, increasing pain and redness, swelling and discharge in the eye, floaters or change in vision field.
If you fear of being completely blind, you can consider undergoing cataract surgery to save your vision. Do not be discouraged by cataract surgery cons for the advantages that you can get are still outweighing the disadvantages associated with this surgical procedure. Let the cataract surgery pros and cons serve as your guide and reminder at the same time. It would also be best to consult a doctor before going for a surgery.