Poison oak rashes can look very severe and many individuals assume that they are contagious. However, poison oak is not contagious and can’t be spread from simply touching the rash or pus from inside of the blisters. Poison oak is very similar to poison ivy and poison sumac. None of these are contagious and can’t be spread through contact with the rash alone. This means that you do not have to avoid people with poison oak rashes.
What Causes The Rash?
When you touch poison oak, the cause of the rash and allergic reaction is the exposure to urushiol. This is a chemical that is found in Poison oak plants and it is what causes the rash and allergic reaction to form. You have to have actual contact with the urushiol to have an allergic reaction. The urushiol is what causes the redness, swelling, rash and blisters to form.
Rash Pattern Formation
Many individuals wrongly assume that poison oak is contagious due to the formation of the rash. Many people that get poison oak have a rash that doesn’t fully develop for days. This means that after initial exposure it takes up to 2 weeks for the entire allergic reaction to form. Many individuals think that the rash is spreading due to the pus from the blisters, but this is not the case. Many rashes appear about 8 hours to 2 days within contact of the urushiol, but it can sometimes take up to 2 weeks for the entire rash to form.
The Rash Is Not Contagious
Even though the entire rash doesn’t for long periods of time, poison oak is not contagious. You must have contact with the urushiol form the poison oak plant to have a reaction. This means that touching a rash will not result in you getting poison oak. No urushiol is present in the rash or the blisters. This means that you can be around others without worry that your rash is contagious. However, most individuals wrongly assume that poison oak is contagious, so they may be hesitant at first.
No Permanent Scarring
If you are exposed to direct contact with urushiol, you can expect an allergic reaction, but no permanent scarring should occur. Redness, swelling and a rash are common allergic reactions that you can be on the lookout for. Just remember that poison oak is not contagious and can’t be spread from one person to another.