When a woman is approaching the menopausal age, her ovaries produce lesser female hormones. Nowadays, the so called Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) becomes more popular to women who want to relieve the symptoms and effects of menopause.
Do women really need to undergone this procedure? There are some menopausal symptoms for women that can help them determine if they will undergo HRT or not. These include having a night sweats, the vagina seems dry, finding it hard to sleep, and sudden changes in moods.
Here are the positive and negative effects about hormone replacement therapy.
The 8 Pros of Hormone Replacement Therapy
1. For women who are premenopausal or postmenopausal, HRT is considered the best treatment for menopausal symptoms especially when the condition is severe.
2. Lowers risk of osteoporosis because of the important role estrogen plays in maintaining the levels of calcium in bone.
3. Lowers risk of diabetes because more normal fasting blood sugar levels.
4. Lowers the risk of colon cancer.
5. Reduces mood swings.
6. May prevent vaginal atrophy.
7. May lower the risks of cardiovascular in healthy women.
8. Alzheimer’s disease incidence and severity may be reduced by up to 30%.
The 6 Cons of Hormone replacement Therapy
1. May not be recommended for women who have a family or personal history of heart disease.
2. Risk of stroke increases for women who have high blood pressure.
3. Risk of pulmonary embolism increases.
4. Risk of breast cancer, with progestin increases.
5. Risk of dementia after age 65 increases.
6. Breast tenderness may increase.
There are some alternative hormone replacement therapy like taking antidepressants to help change the mood, problem in sleeping, and reduce the night sweats and hot flashes. You can also prevent each symptom by using some herbal remedies. For more safety health tips, always ask your doctor on how or what are the alternative medication that you can try to prevent these menopausal symptoms.
Everyone cannot stop the reality that we will get older. But we can do something to prevent and fight its effects in our body in natural way through healthy life style and balance diet. Hormone replacement therapy is a product of medical science to help women who are near to old age of their lives to prevent menopausal symptoms and other related diseases especially when ones’ body is getting old. And another fact about Hormone replacement is it is not for all women. There are many things to be taken into consideration before you can decide if you can undergo this kind of medication. And deciding underdo hormone replacement therapy is a case to case basis. The best way to find out if are you going to undergo this is by consulting your doctor and have regular check-up.
So, women out there in the mid-age even women in the old age, now that you know the positive and negative effects of undergoing hormone replacement therapy, try to think about it or visit your doctor for you to understand more about HRT.