Oral thrush is a mouth infection which is usually caused by the candida fungus or commonly known as the yeast. This type of disease is not only limited to your mouth, but it can also infect the other parts of your body such as skin, lungs, etc. This illness usually results in different unpleasant situations like the diaper rash in infants and vaginal yeast infection for the females.
Anyone is prone to having this type of infection, especially older adults, toddlers and babies and individuals with weak immune systems.
The candida fungus is normally within a person’s body, especially in the skin, digestive tract and mouth, but once the amount of these bacteria is unbalanced, it can cause such illness. This unbalance state is usually caused by various medications, stress or other illnesses that people may encounter.
Some of the medications that were mentioned above are antibiotics, corticosteroids as well as contraceptive pills. The triggering illnesses are HIV infection, dry mouth, diabetes, pregnancy and cancer. People who are very fond of smoking are also prone to oral thrush. Babies can also pass the infection to their mothers as they are being breast fed.
The most common sign of having oral thrush is when your tongue and inner cheeks have these creamy white and slightly raised cuts. It can sometimes be located in the back of your throat, the roof of your mouth or in your tonsils. Those lesions which appear to be cottage cheese-like can cause severe pain and even bleeding within your mouth as you hit them accidentally or when you are brushing your teeth. In worse cases, these scratches may spread through your esophagus making it difficult for you to swallow, to experience fever and the feeling of having the food that you have eaten stocked within your chest or throat area.
The Best Home Remedies for Oral Thrush in Adults
- Infected people must practice applying ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to the thrush within their mouth. This method will boost your immune system and will give you a strong defense over the wild candida fungus.
- If you want to eliminate oral thrush in a shorter period of time, try to make use of butter milk and yogurt. These two replace the regular flora within the human body, stopping the yeast to reproduce more.
- Oils from the natural ingredients such as clove, lavender, tea tree and oregano have anti-infection components that help in relieving the oral thrush that adults might be suffering from.
- People can also get away from oral thrush if they will be cleaning their teeth using a dental floss and brushing their teeth two times a day.
- Individuals can also gargle a special mixture of warm water, pinch of salt and cider vinegar to help fight the threat of fungus.
- One more way is by adding a tablespoon of castor oil to one glass of warm milk. This procedure will help you maintain moisturized lips.