Dimethylamylamine or also known as DMAA is a drug used before as nasal decongestant, and today this is sold as dietary supplement commonly used by active and competitive athletes. This is also use for body building, deficit hyperactive disorder, and as weight loss supplement. According to research, this product came from a natural source like rose geranium. Unfortunately, with thorough study the researchers found out that this supplement does not contain a natural ingredients instead an artificial drug. Its powder mixture is generally use by adding this to liquids before drinking and some are in a capsule format. There are some who uses this by smoke or snort.
In Canada, this product was considered as a drug and not permitted to natural health and dietary products. For some athletes, they use this to improve their performance. But in year 2010 this was included to the list of Worlds Anti Doping Agency’s. That is why athletes are not suggested to take this.
This was also removed from the US military store and was banned in the country like New Zealand. According to some reports, this has a serious life threatening effects. This is very unsafe to use especially when taken thru mouth.
DMAA Side Effects
- This can increase people’s blood pressure and may result to heart attack, stroke or paralysis.
- This may cause and worsen irregular heartbeat or heart arrhythmia to its user.
- For people who presently suffering from glaucoma avoid using this since this can worsen your condition.
- These effects will depend on how the product was taken and its dose. There are some effects that are similar to the higher caffeine doses.
- Nausea, headaches, vomiting, aggression or anger, panic attacks, paranoia and erectile dysfunction. DMAA also shows a little potential of addictive, which is chemical dependence. For overdose, this may lead to cerebral hemorrhage.
There are two recorded victim of DMAA side effects, unfortunately this two died because of complication and a total of almost 86 cases illness related to this stimulant consumption. Even if there was no actual evidence that DMAA was the cause of the condition they noted that this is one of the key why illness like psychiatric disorders, nervous system and heart problems were experienced by its users. At present this is illegal to sell, manufacture or import without license.
A company which uses this substance was given a letter of warning from Food and Drugs Administration, which states that products with DMAA is very dangerous. The company supported and agreed to the content of the letter. Except for USPLabs which challenges the FDA by giving them published studies which shows that DMAA will not cause any risk to its user’s health.
The penalties of can be $500,000 up or almost two years of imprisonment. It’s not an offense to buy but can be a subject for fine of almost $500 if one is caught. As stated a while ago that this product was banned in New Zealand but in year 2013 the temporary notice of drug class was suppressed by Act of Psychoactive Substance.