Although you may think you know the difference, knowing the difference between mildew and black mold may (or may not) be the difference between being OK in your current housing situation, or being very sick. Here, we will take a look at what mildew is, as well as what black mold is. We will also explore who you can contact in order to learn more about the mildew that may be growing anywhere that you may be living or working. The difference is truly very important!
All mildew found in homes is mold. However, not all mildew found in homes is considered harmful to humans. All mildew that is found is also not always black mold. Black mold is simply a form of household mildew. Typically, in homes (or places in homes) with high moisture levels you may be able to find several different kinds of mildew. Usually, these will grow flat on whatever material they are growing on. Mildew can effect drywall, clothing, jute, attics, window sills, basements, garages, bathrooms, books, leather, ceilings, and many other materials found in the home.
Black mold may be harmful, to the point of being toxic, or it may actually be harmless, depending upon the strain. Color cannot truly tell you if the mold you are experiencing is OK, or is of concern. If it is harmless, there is truly nothing to fear, although you may want to take measures to prevent further mold growth. You may want to learn more about how to improve your indoor air quality, reduce moisture, or control temperature in a more effective way. Tests can determine whether the mold you are experiencing is harmful or not.
Finding Out More
If you are concerned that you may have black mold, contact a specialist immediately. Microbiologists can let you know more about the particular mold that you find in your home. It is important that you have someone collect samples of any type of mold that you may be suspicious of, no matter the color. Unfortunately, color of mold or mildew cannot always tell a person whether or not that particular strain of mold might be harmful to them. It is especially important if you opt for testing in a place where you think your building could have suffered from water damage at one time or another. A lab can let you know.