It is a known fact that coal is a nasty thing. A coal contaminates everything that it comes with contact and produces issues at each step of the thing’s life cycle, from unsafe and unhealthy underground mines, environmental mountain removal catastrophe, to the issues linked with handling the huge ash piles that are created just about every day.
However, without a doubt, the most disturbing problem is the significant amount of CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emitted. According to statistics, coal contributes 31% of the total CO2, which is biggest contributor of any source.
But then, the use of clean coal technology also provides a number of advantages and disadvantages. It is important for you to know the different clean coal technology pros and cons in order for you to know where you stand in this situation. In this case, the following details may greatly help in weighing clean coal technology pros and cons.
The Pros of Clean Coal Technology
The following are some of the advantages you can expect from clean coal technology:
1. Clean coal has an abundant supply, which is concentrated in several industrialized countries including the US, China, India and Russia.
2. The utilization of clean coal technology is relatively inexpensive.
3. It provides high load factor.
4. It comes with continuous power for good application.
5. It is a mature industry with substantial existing infrastructure.
6. With clean coal technology, carbon can be made low and can also be cleaned using CCS and different scrubbers.
7. Clean coal may be converted into a gas or liquid form that burns cleaner.
8. Presently clean coal technology is being utilized in China.
9. As compared with nuclear or gas, clean coal technology is relatively low capital investment.
The Cons of Clean Coal Technology
But then, even with as much advantages, clean coal technology also draws a number of disadvantages, which include the following:
1. Coal is not renewable. Therefore, this technology has a limited supply.
2. Coal holds the majority of CO2 for every BTU, which is known as the biggest contributor to the phenomenon of global warming.
3. With significant coal mining, there is the increase of severe social, safety, environmental and health impacts.
4. With coal mining, there is also a huge devastation of the environment around the mines.
5. There is a high cost requirement when it comes to coal transportation to central power plants.
6. Ash from coal is a disposal and a hazard problem.
7. Mining of coal is considered as the second biggest methane emitter, which is a strong greenhouse gas.
8. With coal clean technology, there are higher radiation levels. Coal plants may release greater amount of radiation as compared to nuclear plants.
9. Burning coal may release NOx and SOx, which are both responsible for acid rain.
10. Coal burning may also emit mercury as well as other heavy forms of metals which pose serious health risks.
11. Emissions of coal burning are associated to increased cases of lung cancer and asthma.
12. With clean coal technology, there is a risk of accidental release of huge Carbon Dioxide quantities.
As you may see, there are more disadvantages linked to clean coal technology. However, depending on how you weight them in, you may stand your point whether or not you agree with this kind of technology.