5 Important Facts About Marfan Syndrome

5 Important Facts About Marfan Syndrome

Marfan Syndrome isn’t something that you can catch from someone, but it is something that parents can hand down to their children through genetics. It is also possible for Marfan Syndrome to develop spontaneously from a new gene mutation. It specifically affects the connective tissue within the body and many body systems can be affected by it. That’s because the process of tissue nutrition and how tissues work is compromised.

Here are some more important facts about Marfan Syndrome to consider.

1. Anyone Can Be Born With Marfan Syndrome.

This genetic disorder does not discriminate at all. Men and women are born with Marfan Syndrome equally and it affects all racial and ethnic demographics equally as well. Because it affects the gene that makes fibrillin, some people may only have mild symptoms that are easy to control, while others may struggle with severe symptoms daily. As people age with this disorder, their symptoms typically get worse.

2. It Was First Noted In 1896.

After examining a girl that had incredibly long arms and legs, a man named Antoine Marfan became the first to document the disorder, which is why it bears his name. It can take on many forms, including having a body that is long and flexible. It can also be very dangerous, especially if the connective tissues within the heart have been affected. This is why regular checkups are necessary.

3. Pulling A Tooth Can Kill Someone With Marfan Syndrome.

Infections can set in very quickly with someone who has this genetic disorder, especially if the connective tissues of the heart valves are involved. Something has simple as pulling a tooth can wind up killing someone with this disease because the infection that may set in. Antibiotics are often prescribed regularly for people with Marfan Syndrome, even if a basic teeth cleaning is the only dental procedure being completed.

4. Only One Parent Is Necessary To Pass Marfan Syndrome Along.

The child of someone who has Marfan Syndrome will face a 50% risk of inheriting the disorder. About 75% of the total cases of Marfan Syndrome that have been diagnosed to date have come from just one affected parent. The other 25% of the cases are due to spontaneous gene mutations and the reasons for it are not known. The primary gene responsible for Marfan Syndrome was recognized in 1991.

5. With Proper Lifestyle Changes, People With Marfan Syndrome Live Long, Healthy Lives.

With modern medicine, people who are diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome can easily live into their 70s, which is the same as most general population groups. Thanks to early recognition and diagnosis, as well as proactive treatments, stress levels can be reduced on the body. The greatest challenge is to accept certain lifestyle changes that may be required.

Marfan Syndrome used to mean that the average person would only live about 50% of their expected lives, but that isn’t true any more. By knowing facts like these and seeking out early treatment options, anyone with this genetic disorder can still lead a long, fulfilling life.