For couples who are facing infertility issues, the idea of becoming pregnant is a dream come true. Many couples who are facing this issue will seek professional treatment in order to achieve a pregnancy. One of the most common methods of treating infertility is through a drug that is known as Clomid. Clomid, or clomiphine citrate, is used to stimulate eggs so that more are developed and then released by the ovaries. It is taken by mouth once per day for the 5 days prior to an ovulation period.
Statistics on Clomid Multiples
1. Women who take Clomid have successful single birth pregnancies 92% of the time.
2. For women who conceive while taking Clomid, the chances of having twins is 5-10%.
3. The chances for a woman to have triplets while on Clomid is 0.5%.
4. The percentage of women who conceive twins without the use of fertility treatments: 1.2%.
5. Clomid is not responsible for multiple births when men are taking it.
6. Clomid will cause a pregnancy in most couples who are attempting to conceive within 6 months. A majority of women will conceive within the first 90 days.
7. Some women will still have Clomid in their system 6 weeks after stopping it.
8. Of the reported pregnancies in Clomid studies, the incidence of multiple pregnancies was 7.98%.
9. The ratio of monozygotic to dizygotic twins was about 1:5.
10. The survival rate of multiple births that occur from Clomid is 83.25%, compared to the 73% survival rate of infants born without fertility treatments.
11. Specific fetal abnormalities were all reported to be under 1%.
12. Every monthly attempt to conceive with Clomid results in a 15-20% pregnancy rate per attempt.
13. 80% of women taking clomiphene citrate will successfully ovulate, but fewer than 50% of patients will conceive.
14. One study showed that 87% of the women who ovulated but failed to conceive with clomiphene citrate had an additional cause of infertility such as pelvic lesions, tubal disease, endometriosis, male factor infertility, or a combination of these issues.
15. The success rates are less than 15% per cycle even when combined with IUI for patients that have unexplained infertility issues.
16. The average cost for Clomid for a cycle is about $40.
17. The average cost for generic clomiphene citrate is about $15.
18. Pregnancies are very rarely higher than triplets, but have been known to occur. There is one clinically documented pregnancy of sextuplets that has occurred with Clomid.
19. Hot flashes are sometimes experienced as a side effect of Clomid. These are similar to the hot flashes that menopausal women experience.
20. 72% of the women who take Clomid wind up visiting their OBGYN for birthing assistance because of the treatments.
21. The vast majority (80%) of women who are prescribed Clomid have menstrual irregularity due to polycystic ovary syndrome.
22. For women above the age of 35, the success rate of Clomid drops to about 6%-8% per cycle as a direct result of aging.
23. 2% of women who take Clomid report having visual side effects.
Risks and Additional Information
Because the ovaries are stimulated by this drug, there is a possibility of having twins or triplets because of the amount of eggs that are released. It also increases the overall chances of a couple achieving a pregnancy. It may be a popular drug, but the side effects of it can sometimes be serious. Most mild side effects, such as throwing up or feeling warm, can be treated at home. Weight gain, cysts, or changes in vision should be treated by a doctor immediately.
There are also some risks associated with Clomid that are not always commonly known before treatment begins. For women who take this drug in prolonged doses, there is an increased risk of burying cancer developing. Multiple pregnant are the other, more obvious risk. Mothers that have a pregnancy of multiples face unique challenges that singleton pregnancies do not always face.
With the success rates of this drug, however, most couples who are struggling to achieve a pregnancy are willing to take on these risks. As you can see in the statistics, not only are the chances of having a single birth very likely when Clomid is taken, but the chances of having multiple births increases as well.
Important Facts About Clomid
There are known causes of infertility, Clomid can be very successful in treating it. If infertility is being caused by unknown factors, this drug is not as successful.
What makes Clomid such a useful fertility treatment is that it works in both men and women. Not only can it stimulate the ovaries to produce eggs, but it can support the development of sperm cells within men as well. This means that any infertility issue that a couple faces may be solved thanks to this very affordable wonder drug. Although success is not guaranteed, major studies have shown that only 8% of women who are exposed to this drug are unable to achieve a pregnancy.
Having multiples does regularly happen when taking Clomid, but the odds are still that a single birth is going to happen. Only about one in 10 mothers will have a multiples birth. And when that happens, twins are the most likely outcome. Fewer than one in 100 Clomid pregnancies results in the creation of triplets.
What is interesting about Clomid is that certain women seem to be resistant to the drug. The regular dose is 50 mg every day, but some women do not even respond when 150 mg is used as a treatment option. Women who are resistant to Clomid will typically not have a successful fertility treatment with this drug need to look at other options.
With no enhancement of miscarriage rates and potentially better long-term survival rates for infants were born, many couples have found Clomid to be a successful treatment option. That is why this drug is so popular today.