Once a fetus enters into the third trimester, many medical professionals deem it to be a viable life and so an abortion is often not recommended. That doesn’t change the fact, however, that there are some late term pregnancies that may be discovered to be not as viable as originally predicted. For a mother to discover that her child won’t survive long past birth and suffer from pain, seizures, or unknown birth defects is about the worst news that can be received.
Statistics On Third Trimester Abortions
1. The number of doctors in the United States that openly practice third trimester abortions: 4.
2. In a December 2012 Gallup poll, only 14% of people believe that third trimester abortions should be legal.
3. The number of states that have enacted laws that make it illegal to have an abortion after 20 weeks: 11.
4. Arizona passed a law, although it has been blocked from enforcement, that would make abortions after 18 weeks illegal.
5. Although it is a woman’s choice whether to have an abortion, a doctor ultimately must agree to do the procedure.
6. It is estimated that just 1% of all abortions in the United States are third trimester abortions.
7. If the estimates are correct, then the total number of third trimester abortions would be 9,000 per year.
8. George Tiller, who was assassinated for performing third trimester abortions, once stated that only 800 fetal anomalies were discovered out of 10,000 patients, or 8% of total cases.
9. Half of all the pregnancies that occur in the United States are unintended.
10. The percentage of unintended pregnancies that will end in an abortion: 40%.
11. Over 90% of the unintended pregnancies that are aborted will be done during the first trimester.
12. Unintended pregnancy increased 55% among poor women, while it decreased 24% among higher-income women.
13. Between 2000 and 2008, the abortion rate increased 18% among poor women, while it decreased 28% among higher-income women.
14. 61% of the women who choose to have an abortion have at least one child already.
15. 3 out 4 women who have an abortion report a religious affiliation to their doctor or practitioner.
16. Protestants are twice as likely to get an abortion when compared to Catholics.
17. Each year, about 2% of all women aged 15-44 have an abortion.
18. By age 45, one third of American women will have had at least one abortion.
19. Black women are five times more likely to abort than white women.
20. 69% of pregnancies among Blacks are unintended, while that number is 54% among Hispanics and 40% of pregnancies among Whites.
21. In 2009, for the first time, more people called themselves pro-life in a Gallup poll than pro-choice.
The Abortion Debate
A lot of the abortion debate tends to revolve the sanctity of life and the rights of the mother. In order to fully have this discussion, it becomes necessary to define where life truly begins. For some people, the definition of life begins before conception. The sperm and the egg are both seen as living things, so any act of abortion is considered morally wrong. For others, life begins with the development of a heartbeat or the development of brain tissue. Does life begin while in the womb? Or does life begin once birth and the first tiny breaths are given?
It’s the process of the third trimester abortion that is so problematic for people. In order for a safe procedure to take place, the practitioner of the abortion must euthanize the fetus. This is done by injecting a drug directly into its heart. Once this has been done, the woman is induced into labor so that the stillborn child can be delivered. Whether you are for or against the practice, it is a devastating moment. Not only does a woman have the desperation of survival, but they must say hello and goodbye to their child at once.
Most women who are going to have an abortion will do so before the third trimester. In some jurisdictions, a third trimester abortion is against the law. The House of Representatives passed a bill that would make a third trimester abortion illegal as well, but that bill has stalled in the Senate. By knowing the facts about this procedure, you can make up your own mind about it.
The Facts About Abortion
The fact that people are willing to solve a problem that they see as murder by committing murder is rather problematic. Numerous abortion clinics and doctors have been killed by performing actions that some women deem to be necessary.
If you are against abortion, then there has to be a better way than violence to change hearts and minds. The Civil Rights movement succeeded primarily through non-violent means because logic and reason were used more than fists or guns. The same can be said for numerous successful reform movements around the world. When people are killed for doing what they think is right, the only thing that happens is a galvanization of the support base.
If you are for abortion, even third trimester abortion, then understanding the strong feelings that others have about the issue is equally important. Set aside the demands for compliance that are being heard and understand that these demands are being said because there is a passion that is equal to your own. Passion is what makes humanity great, but it can also lead to humanity’s downfall. When we let passion spiral out of control, we lose reasoning. When we lose our reasoning, then we have nothing.
Only 4 doctors are performing this procedure in the United States. These men might be characterized as evil or performing immoral actions, but the fact remains that this is a service that some women need. The reasons why they have this need is their own. It may be because of a malformation, birth defect, or anomaly. It could be a denial of their pregnancy because they are afraid. A woman’s reasons are her own. Instead of condemning these women or even praising them, we should all be working together to help them because they are in a time of need. That’s what it means to be human.